The Queensland Government has announced the COVID-19 Rental Grant for Queenslanders who need it the most and have exhausted all other options. The announcement comes as a welcome relief to renters who will find rent payments difficult in the coming weeks due to job losses.
“The COVID-19 Rental Grant is a one-off payment of up to 4 weeks rent (maximum of $2000) available to those affected by the COVID-19 pandemic who do not have access to other financial assistance. The grant is paid directly to your lessor.”
To be eligible, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- you live in Queensland
- you have, or will shortly have, a bond registered with the Residential Tenancies Authority
- you are an Australian citizen, permanent resident, or have a temporary or permanent protection visa or possess a bridging visa
- you do not have more than $10,000 in cash and savings
- you can provide evidence of attempts to negotiate a payment plan with your lessor
- you have lost your job and have applied to Centrelink for income support
- you are waiting for your application with Centrelink to be approved.
How to apply
If you meet the eligibility criteria, you will need to complete an online application.
If you have more questions about your application and the assistance available to you, please contact the Residential Tenancies Authority on 1800 497 161 (8am to 8pm Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm Saturday and Sunday).